Apk-free.info – Shortness of breath usually occurs due to problems with the lungs or heart. In the current state of the Covid-19 pandemic, shortness of breath has been widely associated with the disease caused by the corona virus infection.
Other common Covid-19 symptoms include a dry cough and fever. However, seek emergency medical attention if you experience:
- Difficulty breathing
- Constant tightness in the chest
- Lips turning blue
- Mental confusion.
If your shortness of breath is not caused by a medical emergency, you can try several types of home remedies that are effective in helping to relieve the condition. Many involve only changing positions, which can help relax your body and airways.
How to Overcome Shortness of Breath
The following are various ways to overcome shortness of breath that can be done:
1. Breathe deeply
Taking deep breaths through the abdomen can help a person deal with shortness of breath. Launching Medical News Today, to try deep breathing at home, you can follow these steps:
- Lie down and put your hands on your stomach
- Inhale deeply through your nose, expand your stomach and let your lungs fill with air
- Hold your breath for a few seconds Exhale slowly through your mouth, empty your lungs.
You can do this activity several times a day or whenever you feel short of breath. It is best to keep breathing slowly, easily, and deeply rather than quickly.
2. Breathing through the mouth
Another breathing exercise that can help relieve shortness of breath is pursed lip breathing. These breathing exercises can help reduce shortness of breath by slowing a person’s breathing rate and helping to release oxygen trapped in the lungs.
The pursed lip breathing technique is especially useful if the shortness of breath is caused by anxiety. To try the pursed lip breathing technique at home, you can follow these steps:
- Sit up straight in a chair with relaxed shoulders
- Inhale through your nose for a few seconds and don’t open your mouth
- Tighten your lips as if to whistle
- Exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of four
- Repeat this breathing pattern several times.
You can try this exercise any time you feel short of breath, and can repeat it throughout the day until you feel better. It is important to note, however, that the quality and strength of this research on pursed-lip breathing is very limited. Research on its effectiveness is ongoing.
3. Set a comfortable and supported position
Finding a comfortable position standing, sitting, or lying down can help you relax and catch your breath.
If shortness of breath is caused by anxiety or fatigue, this remedy is helpful. The following positions can reduce the pressure on a person’s airways and improve their breathing:
- Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor and your chest leaning slightly forward
- Sitting in a chair with your head supported by a pillow on the table
- Stand with your back against the wall to support your back
- Stand with your hands supported on a table, to reduce the load from your feet Lying down with your head and knees supported by a pillow.
4. Steam inhalation
Inhaling steam can help keep a person’s nasal passages clear, which can help them breathe more easily. The heat and moisture from the steam can also break down mucus in the lungs, which can also reduce shortness of breath. You can do the following steps:
- Fill a bowl with very hot water
- Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil
- Position your face over the bowl, and place a towel over your head
- Take a deep breath while inhaling the steam
- One should allow the water to cool slightly if it is just boiling. Otherwise, the steam can scald the skin on your face.
5. Drink black coffee
Drinking black coffee can help relieve shortness of breath, because the caffeine in it can reduce tension in the muscles in one’s airway.
A review published in The Cochrane Library in 2010 reported that the effects of caffeine slightly improve the way the airways function in asthmatics. This is enough to make it easier for them to breathe air.
However, it is important to remember that drinking too much coffee can increase a person’s heart rate. So, anyone should watch their caffeine intake to ensure that they are not drinking too much.
6. Eat fresh ginger
Eating fresh ginger, or adding a little to hot water as a drink, can help reduce shortness of breath that occurs due to respiratory infections.
One study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology in 2013 showed that ginger may be effective against respiratory syncytial virus, which is a common cause of respiratory tract infections.
7. Change your lifestyle
According to Health Line, there are many possible causes of shortness of breath, some of which are serious and require emergency medical care. Less serious cases can be treated at home. Lifestyle changes that can be made to help prevent and treat shortness of breath include:
- Quit smoking and avoid tobacco smoke
- Avoid exposure to pollutants, allergens and environmental toxins
- Lose weight if you are obese or overweight
- Avoid exertion in hot conditions or at high altitudes
- Eat well, get enough sleep.
It is important to see a doctor to find out the underlying medical problem, Follow the recommended treatment plan for an underlying disease such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or bronchitis. Remember, that only a doctor can correctly diagnose the cause of shortness of breath.
A person needs to make an appointment to see a doctor if they experience the following conditions:
- Experiencing frequent or persistent shortness of breath
- Waking up at night having trouble breathing
- Experiencing wheezing (a whistling sound when breathing) or tightness in the throat
- It is also important for a person to be able to see a doctor if shortness of breath is accompanied by: Swollen feet and ankles Difficulty breathing when lying down
- High fever with chills and cough Wheezing
- Worsening of shortness of breath experienced
That’s a summary of how to overcome shortness of breath from Apk-fre.info. Please share this article if you find it useful.